Y Dance Director - Cindy Guzman
CINDY GUZMAN (Director) holds a BA in Business Management with a minor in Dance from Marymount College. She brings over 20 years experience in professional dance instruction, choreography, and touring with and for major artists throughout the world, from sold-out stadium concerts to the Super Bowl halftime show. Her work includes video and TV choreography as well, and among her many credits are Mary J. Blige, Brandy, Foxy Brown, Michael Jackson, Mark Wahlberg, Will Smith, Whitney Houston, Usher, New Kids on the Block, Notorious B.I.G and Nas. Her work has appeared on major network shows including Jay Leno, Conan O’Brian, John Stewart, and Soul Train.
Cindy Guzman has been directing our Y Dance Program since 2016 and has been instrumental in creating a Y Dance Program that enables young dancers to fully grow and develop.
Accessible to all
Y Dance is culturally accessible and charges tuition on a sliding scale according to need—because we believe that all children should have the opportunity for dance education. All class schedules are located on the Schedules page on this website
Y Dance Program Highlights include:
- Early childhood classes beginning at 12 months of age for children with a caregiver. Our early childhood classes engage the imagination of young dancers, introduce group participation skills and explore the pleasure of movement to music.
- A rigorous, progressive pre-professional training program beginning at age 7 - 8 that forms the core curriculum of the program. By the time of graduation from Y Dance at age 18, students are dancing at a level that allows a smooth transition into professional conservatory training programs, university dance programs, and professional apprentice programs.
- Recreational dance classes that invite students—including complete beginners to dance class—to explore introductory classes in ballet, jazz and modern dance as well as such ever-changing offerings as tap, hip hop, and dance composition.
- An annual student dance recital that teaches the art of performance: with rehearsals during dance classes; continuing through a weekend of rehearsals in the theatre introducing students to performance elements such as staging, sound and lighting; and culminating in a professional production.
- Summer Dance Intensives for ages 5 - 18. Develop technique and artistry in a fun, nurturing and creative environment! Y Dance offers week-long summer intensives each Summer...
Attendance and Make-Ups
Students who miss class may make up the class within the semester that the class was missed. Contact Cindy Guzman to schedule make-ups.
Y Dance stresses and nurtures the development of proper dancers etiquette in each of its students: respect for the art form, the faculty, and for fellow students; a welcoming attitude towards every other student, especially those new to the program; willingness to help others learn, and to accept others' help; and a commitment to diligence and discipline in class.
Students are encouraged to arrive at least 5 minutes before class, dressed and ready to participate. Students arriving more than 5 minutes after the start of class must have the instructor’s permission to join the class, in order to prevent injuries caused by inadequate warm-up. At the discretion of the instructor, latecomers may be asked to observe, rather than participate in, class. If a student arrives more than 15 minutes after class, the student is to first report to the Y Dance office.
For more information about Y Dance email Cindy Guzman